Recipe by Quickdrawmatty
This is a great low salt recipe. It has a hearty beef flavor with a twist. This is moist yet fairly dense meatloaf which is great the next day for sandwiches.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 2 pieces bread, toasted and finely cubed (a no salt added brand)
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 2 (4 g) packets sodium-free beef bouillon (herb ox)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (salsa brava brand low sodium) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce (for topping)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (for topping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute (for topping)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 deg.
- mix topping ingredients and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and place in large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Form into loaf shape of your choice and place into small lightly greased pan. I just used a 4x8 pan that was about 4 inches deep. Bread pan would work fine.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minute.
- Remove foil and coat top with the topping mix and bake for another 15-20 minute.
- All that's left now is to decide what to have with it. I like baked sweet potatos or garlic mashed potatos. If you like bell peppers these can be added for a great little south western taste. Using fresh onion instead of minced will make this a bit more moist but it is a preference thing. Enjoy!