Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a low fat version of scones that is very tasty. If you can't find the dried plum puree at your store, combine 8 oz pitted dried plums with 6 Tbsp water in blender, processing until smooth. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. 1 serving = 2 Starch, 1 Fruit
- 591.47 ml flour
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 59.14 ml dried plum puree
- 29.58 ml margarine, cold
- 226.79 g nonfat plain yogurt
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries or 118.29 ml craisins or 118.29 ml other dried fruit, finely chopped
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 14.79 ml sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Coat cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients.
- Cut into dry ingredients the plum puree and cold margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add yogurt and mix until just blended.
- Stir in dried fruit.
- On a floured surface, roll or pat dough to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as needed.
- NOTE: The less you handle the dough the better so be sure to get as many as possible the first time.
- Arrange on cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
Hard to imagine that this is a low fat scone. I used prunes, non sugared dried cranberries. Very tasty. Thanks for putting in the diabetic food values. These will be made again Thanks MG
Very GOOD!!! I used dried cherries. Gave them nice sweet-tart flavor. I also used Splenda, which worked fine! Thanks for posting this!
My these were good. I used butter instead of margarine, simply because that's what I have. Also used white sugar for the same reason. The scones were so tender and flavorful. Initially, I was worried about using a full tablespoon of baking powder but the rise on these was just perfect, not too high - not too flat. Will certainly make these agian,and again, and agian. Thanks.