Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe was adopted with love in February 2006.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk (or soy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites, beaten (or egg replacement)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cream margarine and sugar together until fluffy.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the margarine/sugar mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup milk to mixture, beat well, repeat twice.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8"x8" baking pan.
- Combine topping (last four) ingredients and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 375° about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This was delicious! I made only a couple tiny changes - instead of the 3 egg whites, I used 2 whole eggs, I added a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg right to the batter, and I baked it in 2 loaf pans since my 8x8 was dirty! Will definitely make again! Made for PAC Spring '12.
WOW. Delicious. The only change I made was that I mixed half the topping mixture into the batter then topped with the other half. Will be making this again. Many, many times.
easy to make