Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My DH cannot have butter or oil in his diet so I searched online and found this basic sauce without butter. The stock & flour mixture will be hard to get nice and smooth, I find the blender helps to get the lumps all out. Vary with different herbs and spices - for fish add lime zest, juice, dill, pepper or Dijon mustard. By changing to soy milk and vegetable stock it is suitable for vegetarians.
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup skim evaporated milk (or soy milk)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chicken stock, extra
- onion powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Pour stock into a small saucepan and heat; once hot add cornflour and stir constantly to cook flour, it will be very thick, yellowy & clear.
- Off stove add the milk, very slowly stirring until smooth; this is where I need the blender to get the lumps out.
- Put back on medium heat, add the extra stock and continue stirring until it thickens; add the onion powder, herbs, pepper and salt.
- You may need more stock or skim milk, when I made this tonight, on heating it up after it had cooled it became thicker and needed to be thinned a little.