Top Review by thom0573
Recipe worked, well, but I had to guess what to do with the onions and celery. Sautéed onions in butter for a minute while the bear was at 500, and covered the bear with them and the celery when dropping the temp to 325. Turned out okay, but was that what I was supposed to do with them?
- 3 -4 lbs bear roast or 3 -4 lbs rump roast, thin fat to 1/2 inch
- 1 1⁄2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery & leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Cut deep slits in top of roast and insert garlic slices.
- Salt and pepper the meat well.
- Lay a few fat slices under the roast, put it in preheated oven, and roast 20 minutes or so until the fat browns.
- Turn the heat down to 300-325 degrees and roast about 2 1/2 hours.
- When done, remove roast and the fat cracklings to a hot pan or platter.
- Gravy: Retain 2-3 tablespoons of fat in the roasting pan with the drippings and in it saute the finely chopped onions and celery.
- Stir in the flour and herbs.
- Stir on a low flame until thickens, stir in the herbs.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.