Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 3 -4 lbs bear roast or 3 -4 lbs rump roast, thin fat to 1/2 inch
- 1 1⁄2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery & leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Cut deep slits in top of roast and insert garlic slices.
- Salt and pepper the meat well.
- Lay a few fat slices under the roast, put it in preheated oven, and roast 20 minutes or so until the fat browns.
- Turn the heat down to 300-325 degrees and roast about 2 1/2 hours.
- When done, remove roast and the fat cracklings to a hot pan or platter.
- Gravy: Retain 2-3 tablespoons of fat in the roasting pan with the drippings and in it saute the finely chopped onions and celery.
- Stir in the flour and herbs.
- Stir on a low flame until thickens, stir in the herbs.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
Recipe worked, well, but I had to guess what to do with the onions and celery. Sautéed onions in butter for a minute while the bear was at 500, and covered the bear with them and the celery when dropping the temp to 325. Turned out okay, but was that what I was supposed to do with them?
This is an excellent recipe, loved by our whole family. You have several recipes that are different from a lot of things on food.com. Thank you for taking the time to share them!
The recipe was fantastic.It was my frist time cooking bear and it was easy with this recipe.The gravey was excellent.I will be useing this recipe again. It was our frist time cooking bear and we invited friends over.They said I did a great job .Thank you so much for your recipe.