Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In Peru, Huancaina sauce (sauce from Huancayo) is most often served over cold or room-temperature potatoes. However it is sometimes used in other ways; this is one of them. You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon dried ground chilies for the fresh. Adapted from Pan American's Complete Round the World Cookbook.
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 egg yolks, hard-boiled
- 2 fresh chili peppers, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 steaks, 4-6 ounces each
- 12 ripe olives (for garnish) (optional)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered (for garnish) (optional)
- Place cream cheese in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add egg yolks, chili peppers, and salt.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Add olive oil slowly, drop by drop, beating constantly.
- Add cream, lemon juice and onions, and mix well.
- Place mixture in a small saucepan and heat gently over low heat.
- Meanwhile, broil or grill the steaks to the desired degree of doneness.
- Serve sauce over steaks, garnished with olives and egg quarters.