Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from Epicurious.com which lists it as coming from Bon Appetit. It is amazing, but very rich. It is also expensive to make, but well worth it. A little goes a long way, this serves 6.
- 1 (1 3/4 lb) live lobsters
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth (or more)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 cups vacuum-packed chestnuts or 3 cups fresh chestnut meats
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- minced fresh chives
- Cook lobster in pot of boiling salted water until shell turns bright red and meat is opaque in center, about 8 minutes; Drain and transfer lobster to large bowl; cool.
- Working over same bowl to catch juices, twist off claws, cut off tail and cut lobster meat from shells.
- Reserve shells; scrape out green tomalley and discard; Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces; cover and chill.
- Bring milk, 2 cups stock, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, and lobster shells with any accumulated juices to simmer in heavy large saucepan.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes.
- Strain into large bowl; Return strained liquid to pan.
- Add chestnuts; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender.
- (Lobster and soup can be made 1 day ahead;Cover separately; chill).
- Bring soup to simmer;Stir in Madeira.
- Thin with more stock, if necessary, and stir until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in small skillet over medium heat.
- Add lobster meat; sauté 1 minute to heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls; Top with lobster meat; Sprinkle with minced fresh chives and serve.
This was very good! It has quite a sweet taste which I wasn't expecting but really enjoyed. I did use langostino crab instead of Lobster because it was less expensive but it still tasted great. Also, I used half skim milk and half half and half because I didn't have whole milk. Served with roast chicken and potatoes.
Prepared this soup using frozen lobster claw meat. It was excellent. Only change was that I served it with cut leeks instead of chives. (Served with a herb salad with roasted pine nuts and cranberries.) Thanks for the recipe. I will make this again.