Fast, Easy, Elegant Chestnut Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs chestnut meats (canned or frozen)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 6 -8 cloves garlic
- 2 cups cream or 2 cups creme fraiche
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- This is really easy.
- Put everything except the cream, salt and pepper in a soup pot.
- Bring to boil, turn dow, and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Mush up the chestnuts a bit with a fork.
- Decide if you want the soup a bit chunky, or really smooth.
- I prefer the smooth version.
- For both, use immersion blender to the point where you like the look of the soup for a chunky version.
- For the really smooth version, blend in blender after using the immersion blender until it reaches the consistency you like.
- Taste, check for seasoning, add salt and pepper, stir in cream.
- If it is too thick, add a bit of stock or water.
- I liked it best a bit thick.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was a georgous soup! I made a few changes, using fresh chestnuts which I boiled and shelled. I also used chicken stock to give a little more taste and didn't use the 2 cups of cream, opting instead to drizzle a swirl of cream on the top. I also stirred in a cup of crispy bacon bits after blending the soup. Will definitely do again - many thanks!
This is from an idea in a French women's magazine. I want to make chestnut soup for my French inlaws for Christmas dinner instead of those nasty, hard chestnuts they are always serving. I have been auditioning soups. This is the winner. Would be great garnished with some very crispy bacon or pancetta.