Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a clear veggie soup loaded with vitamins. It is ready in 35 minutes including prep time. It is vegetarian friendly. Recipe originated in Family Circle magazine tweaked by Bergy. Low in fat and calories. I have said 6 servings but if this is your main meal it will serve 4.
- spray vegetable oil, preferabbly Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 lb tiny new potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, scrubbed, 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 thin asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes (or less)
- shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
- Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil.
- Over medium heat saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms, stirring for apprx 3 minutes.
- Add Broth,potatoes, carrots and salt, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add Thyme,asparagus,beans and chili flakes.
- Cover and cook a further 5 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- To serve spoon into bowls and add some shaved parmesan cheese on top if desired.
Easy and delicious! I wouldn't call the parm optional, though. I used red potatoes that were larger than the original called for and gave the roots some extra cooking time before adding the beans, etc. Only two of us for dinner, so I'll have a few healthy lunches to take to work from the leftovers.
Quick, lite and easy. What more can you say? This is a nicely seasoned soup that has a hint of a kick with the addition of chili flakes. The timing was perfect for crisp tender vegetables. Served this with generous slices of crusty bread for a complete meal.