Member #610488's Note:
Liptauer spread is based on a soft sheep's milk cheese called bryndza in the Slovak language. The dish probably came from the Province of Liptov, in the Tatra Mountains, within the old Austro-Hungarian Empire and was first made by sheep farmers. As Liptauer, it has traveled to neighboring regions of central Europe, including Germany, Austria, Italy, Serbia, Slovakia and Hungary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 cup Quark or 1 cup fromage blanc (drained) or 1 cup soft farmer cheese or 2/3 cup full-fat Greek yogurt (and 1/3 cup whipped cream cheese mixed in)
- 1/3 onion, peeled
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/3 cup german pickles (optionally combine equal amounts dill and bread and butter pickles) or 1/3 cup cornichon (optionally combine equal amounts dill and bread and butter pickles)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot German mustard or 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional) or 3/4 teaspoon anchovy, finely minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped (add 2 tsp caper if anchovy is not added)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch dill (garnish)
- 1 pinch chives, chopped (garnish)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1In a medium bowl, whip the butter, cream cheese, and quark (or its substitute). Make sure the butter is soft to avoid unpleasant chunks.
- 2Add the water, onion, garlic, and 1 tbsp of the butter-cheese mixture to a blender and puree.
- 3Pour the onion-garlic puree into the bowl with the cheeses and mix well.
- 4Mix in the remaining ingredients and combine well. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. If you used unsalted butter, salt liberally.
- 5Garnish with chopped chives and dill and serve with soft pretzels, celery sticks, crackers, or toasted German rye bread. It can also be used to stuff tomatoes, red peppers and hard boiled eggs.
- 6Liptauer tastes best when made the day before so the flavors have a chance to mingle.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Liptauer (Savory Paprika Cream Cheese Spread)
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.7
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 125.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: