- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup toasted almond, chopped and ground
- 8 ounces sweet butter, softened and cut into cubes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces raspberry jam (I prefer Smuckers seedless red raspberry jam)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kirsch liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flour, sugar and ground almonds into a pile on a large workspace, then make a well in the middle of the mound.
- Add the butter, egg yolks, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg into the well.
- Knead the dry and wet ingredients with your hands until well-blended and the butter is thoroughly incorporated into the mix.
- Prepare a springform pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Take roughly 3/4 of the dough and spread it all uniformly across the bottom of the springform pan. It should be at least 1/2 an inch thick, with a slight lip around the edges.
- Combine the jam and brandy in a mixing bowl, then spread across the dough in the springform pan. The lip of the dough should still be higher than the jam; if not, use a little of the remaining dough.
- Divide the rest of the dough into thin strips, and place them across the top of the dough, forming a lattice from edge to edge.
- Bake the torte in a 375-degree oven for 35 minutes, until the jam is bubbling a bit and the dough is starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Carefully peel down the edges of the parchment paper away from the edges.
- Sprinkle the top of the torte with confectioner's sugar.