Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe got its start from ladypit's Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole #74629. After weeks of tinkering, I adapted it so much that it really became something totally different. LOL My family, especially my 13 month old, really love this! Wholesome, filling and super easy to throw together! I make this all the time. The leftovers are great, too.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients, except the cheese, in a large casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Stir and top with the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes more.
40 minutes and it was cooked. I used white long grain rice. I should have greased the baking dish cause it stuck to it. Maybe there was not enough liquid. I used red lentils. This has a nice taste and it's kind of healthy. Thanks Hottiecj :) Made for PAC Fall 2009
This was pretty good. Mine took a lot more broth and water and a lot longer...but it was yummy!
This was great! I would have given 5 stars, but the rice wasn't quite done and I had to cook an additional 15 minutes or so. Aside from that, I realized I didn't have beef broth, so I used chicken instead, but followed the rest of the recipe exactly. This was really good. Even my kids ate it! Fast, healthy and cheap! Thanks hottiecj! We'll definitely be making this again!