Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into small pieces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup diced Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups cooked instant rice
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen broccoli, cut, thawed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 cups shredded cheese (your preference)
- Melt butter over high heat, add chopped mushrooms.
- Cook and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add onion and chicken pieces.
- Reduce heat to medium high and cook until chicken is just cooked through.
- Stir in garlic and cook for about a minute longer.
- Add undiluted chicken soup and velveeta cheese, stir until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and add cooked rice, thawed broccoli, sour cream, and pepper.
- Spoon mixture together and spoon into casserole dish sprayed with cooking oil.
- Spread shredded cheese over top and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- NOTE: Instant rice makes this a quick and easy recipe.
- Instant rice can be made in the microwave in about 4 minutes while the chicken is cooking.
- If you prefer other rice then make it ahead of time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I found it a little salty, but that would be easily solved by using a low sodium soup. I would also recommend that you drain the juice from the chicken before adding the other ingredients, as the final product was quite runny until it was chilled. I would like to try this without the velveeta as well... if anyone has tried this let me know how you did it. Serving it with a toasted garlic ciabbatta bun really topped it off.
The family really liked this! I'm not going to pretend I made this healthy but I improved its health somewhat by using brown rice, bumping up the broccoli, using olive oil instead of butter, and leaving out the sour cream altogether. Overall, creamy and yummy. Thanks for the recipe Therese Crosby...
I would say this serves 4-6, good flavor and an easy throw together meal. I used non-instant rice, easily made while you dice/cook the chicken. I omitted the shredded cheese topping, opting for bread crumbs mixed with a small amount of margarine, also I used American cheese slices in place of the Velveeta, as its what I usually have on hand