Prep 5 mins
Cook 11 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. From Mrs. JF Finnegan, Minneola, Minnesota, as submitted to BH&G.
- 236.59 ml apple, chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise or 59.14 ml salad dressing
- 59.14 ml walnuts, chopped
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 453.59 g frozen cod or 453.59 g other fish fillet, thawed
- In a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl combine apple, celery, and butter or margarine.
- Micro-cook, covered, on 100% power (HIGH) for 2-3 minutes or until celery is crisp-tender.
- Stir in stuffing mix, mayonnaise or salad dressing, walnuts, and lemon juice; set aside.
- In a 12 x 7 1/2 x 2-inch baking dish, place block of fish.
- Micro-cook, covered for 5 minutes, giving dish a half-turn after 3 minutes.
- Drain off juices.
- Place stuffing in 4 mounds around fish. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and stuffing is heated through.
Wow, I tagged this in Photo Tag largely out of curiosity and was rewarded with a real delight. This is, for me, a brand new take on fish. I would not have thought of mixing the the waldorf salad;ad basics with stuffing to begin with and add that to using it as a fish topping!! It's slightly sweet, slightly tangy, the apple and celery work very well with the stuffing. The mayo in the stuffing mix is reminiscent of tarter sauce which links to the fish. I used Northern Pike but I think that salt water fish would be even better. I served it with a side of asparagus and mushrooms. Watch the fish in the micro, mine got a bit more cooked than I would have preferred, not a big problem because now I know to start checking it at 3.5 mins (of course this will vary depending on the thickness of your fish). Bravo Kate.