Inspired by Sackville Girl's recipe for Lemon Couscous, but different enough to post another recipe. I've allowed for standing time in the cooking time. Omit the butter and add additonal oil for a vegan dish.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely sliced green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, rinsed,finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup jarred marinated roasted red pepper
- 250 g couscous
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 450 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped lemon thyme
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until just softened, not coloured.
- Add the green pepper and saute until it turns a bright green.
- Add the currants, lemon, roasted red pepper, couscous and stockpowder and combine well.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour over the boiling water and stir again.
- Cover and allow to stand for 3-5 minutes or until water is absorbed and couscous has swelled.
- Add the butter and stir over a very low heat for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Stir through the lemon thyme and serve at once.
This is the first time I have used preserved lemons and only located some at the last minute otherwise was considering using lemon zest but I am so glad I got the chance to use the preserved lemon it was so refreshing in the couscous. I used sultanas, and red and yellow capsicum/bell peppers because if I had used green the DM would not have eaten it (will eat any other colour but not green) and as I didn't have any roasted peppers I just used extra fresh capsicum otherwise followed recipe to a t scaled back by half which was plenty for 3 of us as a side. Thank you JustJanS, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 15.