Recipe by kodi_inoz
When lemons are plentiful this is perfect. Be careful not to overcook. My cooking times are a little loose because I've never actually written down how long it takes to bake!!
Top Review by John A Funk
nice recipe, I made a double batch to fill a half sheet pan. I found that the base was too dry, so I added 1/2 cup buttermilk per batch to get a dough like base (1 cup for double batch). Turned out great! I used Dr.Oetker lemon pie filling (2 pies worth) for the lemon topping since it's going to feed a large group. For home I put in the extra effort.
- 250 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For the base, cream the butter and sugar. Add flour, baking powder and zest and mix well. Press into base of lined slice tray (30cmx20cm).
- Bake in 180C oven until base is slightly browned. (about 15-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile beat the eggs, sugar, rind and flour together. Add the juice and cream, beating together well. Pour over base and bake in 160C oven until set. Maybe another 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool then dust with icing sugar and cut into fingers or squares.