Recipe by looneytunesfan
This recipe which I adopted from the RecipeZaar account has been changed. The ingredints did not match the directions and as I hadn't made it (and could find no close match on the internet to see where the error was) I have revised this recipe. I HAVE made these before and they are delicious. If you love lemon meringue pie, you are in for a treat.
Top Review by Baby Kato
These are very tasty waffles. They are tall, thick, dense and very flavorful. They crisped up nicely and are very filling. I ommited the topping, I didn't have any lemon curd...I can't wait to try this again but with the topping. I garnished the waffles with icing sugar and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Thanks so much for sharing looneytunesfan.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra finely granulated sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄8 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 12 tablespoons yogurt
- 12 tablespoons lemon curd
- 12 small meringues, lightly crushed
- mint leaf, to decorate
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare and preheat the waffle iron or machine as directed.
- Combine the flour with the baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add the egg yolk and milk, and gradually work into the flour using a whisk. Beat gently until smooth. Carefully stir in the melted butter and lemon zest.
- In a grease-free bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff and carefully fold into the batter using a large metal spoon.
- Prepare the waffles & keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- To serve, gently swirl the yogurt and lemon curd together and spoon on top of the waffles. Sprinkle with crushed meringue and decorate wih mint leaves.