Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A wonderful real lemon ice cream, reminds me of lemon sherbet but creamier. Easy to make and refreshing on hot days. Make sure you squeeze fresh lemons for this one. Bottled lemon juice just doesn't measure up in this recipe.This is a combination of two recipes given to me by my Aunt.It's good topped with a few fresh raspberries. For those who love lime, just substitue fresh lime juice in place of the lemon.Cook time is freezing time.
- 9 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Combine lemon juice, lemon zest,and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually stir in milk, heavy cream and salt.
- Pour into an 8 inch glass baking dish, cover and freeze until firm. Remove ice cream one half at a time and run through a food processor until nearly smooth. pour into a plastic bowl, with lid. Top ice cream mixture with plastic wrap and seal with lid to bowl.Will keep up to one week.
WOW - this is crazy good!! So simple to make and the flavor is outstanding - a perfect combination of sweet, tart, and creamy goodness. Love love love the lemon but looking forward to trying this method with other juices (lime, pineapple, mango) as well. Thanks for sharing a keeper! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2013
delicious! Light, fresh and creamy. I don't have a food processor so I used 2 cups of heavy cream and whipped it up with my mixer, then added the sugar, lemon and zest, put in the freezer for 5 hours, it was perfect!