This is a Cooking Light recipe I modified. I substituted store-bought rotisserie chicken and chicken stock in place of making my own. I serve this with some grated Romano cheese on top.
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 8 ounces orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely cracked (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated (optional)
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- 2. Add carrot, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, lemon rind and salt. Saute over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.
- 3. Add chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- 4. Add chicken and orzo. Simmer until orzo is cooked thru.
- 5. Just before serving add parsley. Garnish with black pepper and Romano cheese.