Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
photo by pammyowl
- Ready In:
- 3 -4 chicken breasts
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces mild green chilies
- 8 -12 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 ounces black olives (optional)
- 6 -8 flour tortillas (depends on size)
- Boil chicken, cool and shred into bite-size pieces.
- Place chicken, soup, sour cream, green chilies and olives (optional) in a bowl and mix well.
- Cut tortillas in ½ or ¼ (your preference) and layer on the bottom of a greased (spray with cooking spray) casserole dish so entire bottom is covered.
- Spoon 1/3 mixture on top of tortillas
- Top with 2-3 oz shredded cheese (enough to cover chicken mixture).
- Repeat tortilla, chicken filling and cheese layers two times
- Bake at 350°F until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through; approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Note: Depending on the desired thickness of the casserole you can use a 9x13 or 8x8 baking dish.
- *This can also be made with corn tortillas however they will be a little chewy*.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I tried this a month ago for a make ahead Sunday dish and we have had it 3 times since then....it was fantastic! My husband and I are both very busy so I like to make a "home cooked" meal on Sunday and this is usually what we have. I boil the chicken with cilantro and then use the canned Ro*Tel with cilantro and lime juice and it is just perfect. Easy to make and leftovers are just as good! Thanks!
If I can make this- anyone can. I am not a cook by any means, but I wanted to make something my boyfriend would like since he does all the cooking. The only thing I altered was I used Mexican cheese, added green enchilada sauce like a previous person recommended, and my boyfriend's side had chopped onions. After it was cooked I sprinkled fresh chopped tomatoes on top. Yummy! I have made this twice so far and everyone who tries it LOVES it. Thanks so much! :)
see 7 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span><strong>I am a stay at home mom to two wonderful boys; Joshua (8years), Kaiden (5 years), and baby GIRL, Madalynn (19 months)! I also have two fur babies (cats); Kobee, AJ; we had to put our youngest cat Sly down Jan 2014. :(. I am also married to my best friend, Jeff and have been since April 2005. I love cooking, hate cleaning and will do whatever I can to get out of it! I love grilling and baking. I do most of the grilling at my house, and bake for almost a week straight at Christmas time! I can make or will attempt just about anything, though I rarely make brownies, my husband's are the best! Homemade breads are not my friend, so I am always working on bread baking.</strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>As for recipe ideas (besides zaar) Cooking Light Cookbooks are my favorites. I love to make new meals and try new things; it is hard though because my husband is picky when it comes to veggies (and hates seafood); If it were up to him we would have baked-bread crumb chicken and white rice at least one meal a day! Over the past couple years with zaar, I have found tons of new recipes my family normally wouldn’t eat but have been happily surprised with new favorites.</strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>I love to join in all of the tag games; I haven't been as present as I would like, but as soon as my Jeff is back from working in Ohio I will be back in full tagging mode! </strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>Cooking is my hobby and passion, I always like to host the family get togethers and volunteer for the potluck dishes. Most of all though are my kids; being home all day with them is fun and challenging, but I wouldn’t trade it for any salary!!</strong></span></p>