Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, easy and very pretty! A very dense, moist, rich cake, packed with lemon flavor!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant lemon pudding
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, I used concentrate
- 2⁄3-1 cup blackberry jam (for 8 " or 9 inches layer cake)
- 2 (1 lb) cans lemon frosting
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, for garnish (optional)
- Bake cake according to directions on box making an 8 or 9" layer cake, adding the dry lemon pudding mix and lemon juice.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Invert cakes from pans onto rack to cool.
- Spread each top (which is actually the flat bottom sides)with blackberry jam while cake is still hot. Use 1/3-1/2 cup per cake.
- Let cool completely.
- Place one cake onto platter, (jam side up),spread top carefully with frosting over jam.
- Top with second cake. (Jam side up.).
- Frost top and sides completely, or do a lattice top and decorate, also frosting sides, though.
This is outstanding!! I amde it as a sheet cake and used about 3/4 cup mixed berry jam on the top of it. I made a lemon cream cheese frosting for the top. Not as pretty as the picture but very good. I will keep this one!
So good and delectable!! I made this for a potluck and people were talking about it for weeks!! Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe!
I am rating the cake portion only, as I opted to make a Lemon Cream Cheese frosting instead of using canned. I made this cake for my Mom for Mother's Day. We all really enjoyed it! I would definitely make this cake, again. Thanks for posting, Wildflour! UPDATE: This is my go-to lemon cake recipe. I just used it for cupcakes the other day, and everyone raved! Moist & delightfully citrusy!