Grandma Norn's Unbelievable Blackberry Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes blackberry Jell-O or (3 ounce) boxes raspberry Jell-O gelatin
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen blackberries, unthawed with juice (can use fresh berries also)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- In large bowl mix cake mix, eggs, oil and Jello on high speed with electric mixer about 2 minutes.
- Add berries; mix until blended well.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 until fork inserted in center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- In bowl make icing by beating cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners' sugar.
- Frost cake, chill and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This WAS unbelievably good! I used yellow cake mix, Blackberry Fusion and Raspberry jello (cause that's what was in my pantry!) along with a 12-oz package of frozen blackberries and four large, fresh strawberries. The recipe yielded 12 cupcakes (about 20 min.) and a large loaf (about 35 min.). A couple of things that I was unsure about in the recipe: the fruit was to be "unthawed" but that didn't make sense, so I thawed them by running warm water over the bag. Also, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use my electric mixer to blend the fruit in the batter or just stir them in...but I did use the mixer and it turned out GREAT. Thanks for the delicious recipe!
This is a wonderful cake. I used raspberry-blackberry fusion jello. Not sure if they still make it..Also I added a little Raspberry syrup to the cream cheese frosting. This is one recipe I will definately make again, but I think I will use a little more cream chese in the frosting. it was a little soft.