1 hr 30 mins
I had some leftover Mexican roast beef and didn't really know what to do with it. I threw a bunch of stuff into a pan and simmered it for awhile. The mixture tasted wonderful! I had thought to make tacos, but then I got lazy, so I made it into a layered casserole instead. This is a very friendly versatile recipe as you can use leftover beef roast or pork roast, and vary your ingredients and spices to suite your tastes. Also, I like to make the casserole up in the morning, then toss it into the oven just before dinner time. Makes a hectic time just a little easier. Note: You can make a "Mexican" roast by cooking a roast in the crock-pot with salsa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 cup cooked beef or 1 -2 cup pork roast, shredded
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 9 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Shred cooked meat and remove any bones or fat.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and pepper and saute until tender.
- 3Add all ingredients except corn tortillas and cheese. Stir together.
- 4Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and boil for one hour, allowing most of the liquid to cook off. Watch and reduce heat if necessary.
- 5Preheat oven to 350.
- 6Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- 7Place 3 corn tortillas in the bottom of the pan, tearing to fit.
- 8Spoon 1/3 of the meat mixture over the tortillas. Spread to cover.
- 9Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
- 10Repeat steps 7-9 two times.
- 11Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- 12**Can also be refrigerated in the morning and baked later that day. I haven't tried to freeze it yet.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "leftover Roast" Mexican Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.3
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 39.5 mg
- Sodium 691.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 18.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: