by Looneyspoons, Janet and Greta Podleski. We had this for dinner tonight and I was impressed. It doesn't taste low-fat at all!I did add canned green chilies for extra heat and flavor, but didn't include it in the list of ingredients, since this isn't my recipe.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained cut up
- 1 cup salsa (your choice of heat)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas or 8 (7 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (6 oz.)
- 2 small fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup green onions or 1⁄3 cup scallion, chopped
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray.
- Add onions, garlic, and green pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in black beans and kidney beans. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13X9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom. Cover with half the tortillas (0verlapping as needed), and half the cheese.
- Spoon another 1/3 of bean mixture on top of cheese, followed by remaining tortillas, and last of the bean mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with tomato slices and green onions. If desired serve with dollop of sour cream on top.