Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
by Looneyspoons, Janet and Greta Podleski. We had this for dinner tonight and I was impressed. It doesn't taste low-fat at all!I did add canned green chilies for extra heat and flavor, but didn't include it in the list of ingredients, since this isn't my recipe.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained cut up
- 1 cup salsa (your choice of heat)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas or 8 (7 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (6 oz.)
- 2 small fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup green onions or 1⁄3 cup scallion, chopped
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray.
- Add onions, garlic, and green pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in black beans and kidney beans. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13X9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom. Cover with half the tortillas (0verlapping as needed), and half the cheese.
- Spoon another 1/3 of bean mixture on top of cheese, followed by remaining tortillas, and last of the bean mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with tomato slices and green onions. If desired serve with dollop of sour cream on top.
What a great idea! I scaled it down quite a bit, as it was only for me. I added paprika aswell as cumin with the salsa & i was very happy with the results. You're sitting on a winner Grace! UPDATE: enjoyed this recipe a few times now :) I had my heart set on making it for dinner the other night, but realized, too late, that we didn't have any salsa. No matter....Chef #1646's Salsa to the rescue!!
Very good! Easy to make and filling. I used medium salsa, but if you like it hot you should probably use hot salsa and maybe add some jalapenos. Thanks for the recipe!
I've made this before and love it! I agree, there's so much flavour going on, you don't even notice that it's low cal or meatless.