Whistle While You Wok
photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces whole wheat rotini, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups medium mushrooms, halved
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, coarsely chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Set aside.
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Spray a large, non-stick wok with cooking spray and place over high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until chicken is lightly browned on the outside but still pink in the center.
- Add broccoli, mushrooms, and red pepper.
- Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water to prevent sticking, if necessary.
- Add peas and onions.
- Cook 1 more minute.
- Add sauce and basil.
- Continue cooking until sauce is bubbly and has thickened, about 1 minute.
- Add rotini and cook 1 more minute, just until rotini is heated through.
- Serve hot.
- Tip: You can substitute whole wheat spaghetti for the rotini.
- PER SERVING: calories 372; total fat 5.5 g; saturated fat 0.8 g; protein 35 g; carbohydrate 446 g; fiber 5.3 g; cholesterol 66 mg; sodium 509 mg.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful zingy stir-fry (due to ginger and red pepper flakes), lower in fat than most. We thoroughly enjoyed this combination; dieting like this is heavenly. I ran out of cornstarch at 3 tablespoons, but that seemed to be plenty. Thank you for sharing this recipe, lazyme! Made for Cook-a-thon for lazyme to honor her DH Don.