Recipe by Pets'R'us
This dish has its roots in Hungary but is also popular in Austria and Germany. My German grandmother made this using square pieces of pasta but I will post the recipe as I found it on the internet. I like to fry some chopped bacon and garlic together with the onions and cabbage. This a cheap but very good meal. Edit to say, and hope this helps for others who will try this recipe, the step of letting the cabbage sit in the salt is important, it does add a better flavor to the recipe and the texture.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage (or grated)
- 1 cup finely sliced onion
- 4 tablespoons butter (vegetable oil or other fat)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked broad egg noodles, drained
- sour cream, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the salt and cabbage together and let stand 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Heat the butter in a deep skillet, add the onions, cabbage, sugar and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until cabbage is browned, about 25/30 minutes.
- Add the noodles and toss to blend thoroughly.
- Note: To reduce fat, you can use just 1 tablespoon butter and saute the cabbage for a few minutes, then finish with a little chicken stock, stirring frequently.