Hungarian Cabbage and Potatoes
Originally made with lard, but we try to eat healthy and use oil.
- Ready In:
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Boil potatoes until half done.
- Add cabbage and more water if necessary, to barely cover. Continue to cook gently until cabbage is cooked but still crisp. Stir cabbage and potato now and then.
- While cabbage and potato are cooking melt oil in saucepan and add flour. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until mixture is light tan in color.
- Remove from heat; add garlic caraway seed and paprika; mix to combine. When cabbage adn potato are cooked add flour mixture to pot and stir in quickly so lumps do not form.
- Continue to simmer so flavors blend about 10 minute Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Hmm I'm not sure if this was my mistake somewhere but mine turned out with much more liquid resulting in more "mashed" potatoes after all the stirring in of the roux and salt/pepper. When I added the cabbage I even poured some off because I thought it was too much. I actually halved the recipe but when making the roux used the full amount of seasonings and the DH felt like that was right. Next time we will cut the potatoes a bit bigger and use even less water. The caraway seeds were lovely in this!! Thanks for a yummy & quick dinner Little!!! Made for Veg*n Swap 28!Reply
An unusual recipe that delivers on taste! We loved the dry dressing of roux and paprika, and then when it was mixed with crispy cabbage and crunchy potatoes, it actually worked so well. We ate this as an accompaniment with meatloaf and a creamy onion sauce. Made for Paprika as the spice of the month in the French Forum. Merci Little! FT:-)Reply
see 1 more