Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This tasty chicken needs less preparation than most other Indian chicken dishes I know. There won't be a sauce, therefore I suggest you serve this with a flavoured rice rather than with plain. Together with your favourite raita, this makes a lovely meal. Recipe source is the 'Good Food' magazine November 05. Marinating time of at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours is not included in the preparation time. Enjoy!
- 59.16 ml vegetable oil or 59.16 ml peanut oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml white pepper
- spring onion, shredded, to serve (optional)
for the MARINADE
- 29.58 ml dark soy sauce
- 4.92 ml hot chili powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml cornflour
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and finely grated (2-3cm)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml malt vinegar
- 29.58 ml tomato puree
- 9.85 ml demerara sugar
- Note: You'll need to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes. Marinating it for longer (up to 24 hours) will increase its flavour.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and set aside. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 5 mins until softened, but not coloured. Remove from the heat, cool and combine with the marinade in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Tip in the chillies and white pepper, and fry over a low heat for 1 minute Add the chicken pieces along with the marinade, then fry for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Top with the spring onions and serve.
This recipe is not "WOW", but its okay...I wouldnt call it Kolkata Chilli Chicken...It isnt very Indian at all......Its silghtly peppery, and needed more salt, which I added. About a tsp more. THANKS!
I cut way back on the oil and halved the white pepper but otherwise followed the recipe. I didn't care for it but Dh ate his AND mine.
My DH and I LOVED this! It is so flavorful and not too spicy. I followed the recipe exactly, except I didn't have cornflour so I just ground up some cornmeal and used serrano peppers. I marinated the chicken for 24hrs. This was very easy to make and, even better, I usually have all the ingredients on hand so I can make it anytime!It was so good, we kept eating even though we were beyond full :) I served it with some naan that I found at Trader Joe's. Thanks so much for sharing this!!!