Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This makes a great side dish with chicken or fish, the dried chili flakes are only optional I like to add in for a little heat you may omit if desired, use a good quality chicken broth for this, make certain to saute the orzo until just lightly browned it really improves the flavor of this dish! ;)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 -2 teaspoon coarse black pepper (or to taste)
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat, add in onion, thyme and red pepper flakes (if using) saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in orzo and cook stirring with a wooden spoon until orzo is slightly browned (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until the orzo is tender and the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- Mix in the Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
Great side dish! I added 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts, but other then that left everything the same. Thanks for another great recipe kittencal!
Outstanding. Had it with roast chicken. Added a little of the herbed, seasoned chicken drippings as I was a little short on chicken broth...Yum! Used fresh thyme to season the roast chicken as well as the orzo. Will make this again & again.