2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe will produce the most tender tasty short ribs,. I use rendered bacon fat for this that I store in my freezer for extra flavor in place of the oil, you may increase the beef broth and wine for more sauce if desired and add in some crushed red pepper flakes for some heat, I most always increase the broth and wine and serve this with hot cooked pasta, the sauce is delicious and don't forget to pass the Parmesan cheese at the table ---and if you find you have lots of sauce left over just freeze it and use it the next time you make this recipe again :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 lbs short rib of beef
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or more or less)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- oil, as needed for browning sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, rubbed between fingers to release flavor (or to taste)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 ounces small white button mushrooms (optional)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat bacon fat (or oil if using, can use both) in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 3In a shallow dish mix together flour, seasoning salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- 4Dredge the short ribs in the flour mixture to coat, shaking off any excess flour on ribs.
- 5Brown the ribs in the Dutch oven working in batches until lightly browned on all sides; remove to a plate.
- 6Pour off all but about 2-3 tablespooons fat, and add in the onions, chopped garlic and thyme; saute until lightly browned.
- 7Add in broth and red wine; bring to a boil, stirring.
- 8Return the ribs to the Dutch oven (if possible in a single layer).
- 9Add in the fresh small button mushrooms (if using, no need to saute the mushrooms first).
- 10Cover with a lid and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the ribs are desired tenderness.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12**NOTE** this is only optional: remove the ribs to a platter to keep warm and drain the cooking liquid through a sieve, then transfer the liquid to a saucepan to simmer and reduce slightly and thicken, scimming any fat that has accumulated on top, or you can just serve the sauce just as is from the Dutch oven.
- 13Pour the sauce over the ribs.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Oven-Roasted Beef Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2518.4
- Calories from Fat 1857
- Total Fat 206.4 g
- Saturated Fat 89.6 g
- Cholesterol 430.9 mg
- Sodium 731.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 90.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: