Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Preparing this ahead will save you tons of time in the kitchen, you may make them up to 3 days in advance, use only russet potatoes for this reds will not work the same, you may also add in 1/2 cup half and half cream or milk if desired, also the cheddar cheese is only optional if I am serving it to guests at my holiday table I most always omit and sprinkle a light dusting of paprika on top, or you may add it into the potato mixture if desired, and if you are serving a large crowd you may want to double and bake and serve in two pans ---------- don't wait to make this for the holidays, these are that good I think you will find yourself making them all the time!
Top Review by bzsoccermom
Really fantastic! I made it the day before and doubled it, so it had to cook a little longer. Very easy, and came out much better than any make ahead mashed potato recipe I've tried. Thanks for helping make Christmas Day dinner easier! Made again this year. Only put it in the crockpot on low for 2 hours and then reduced to warm. Did not do the paprika or cheese. Doubled the recipe, which should have been more than enough. People could not stop eating them! LOVE this recipe!
- 8 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (use only russet potatoes or use 10 medium)
- 170.09 g cream cheese, softened (can use 8 ounces)
- 78.07 ml sour cream (can use a little more)
- 118.29 ml butter (cut into cubes, can use more if desired)
- 7.39 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (optional and to taste)
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese (to taste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon white vinegar until just fork-tender (do not cook the potatoes until very soft just until a fork goes easily into the potatoes all the way)drain and place in a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer beat the hot potatoes until just semi smooth and still a little chunky (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this).
- Add in cream cheese, sour cream, butter, onion powder, salt and black pepper; mix until combined and smooth.
- Spread the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- If desired you may sprinkle the top lightly with paprika, then allow to come down to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes or until hot.
- If desired sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top and return to oven to melt (about 3 minutes).