Kittencal's Fried Potatoes and Cabbage
photo by HogHeaven
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small squares
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 lb savoy cabbage, corded and sliced thinly
- seasoning salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more or less)
- Cook the potatoes until tender; drain well.
- Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, the saute the cabbage, seasoning with salt and pepper until tender (about 10-15 minutes, might take longer).
- Add in cooked potatoes, mashing and stirring them into the cabbage while leaving some lumps remaining, then pressing the cabbage and potatoes to form a cake; cook without stirring until the underneath is crusty and golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Served this for supper tonight for husband and 4 great grand children ages 3 to 7 and everyone loved it, some even had a 2nd helping. I made 2 pans both had cabbage and potatoes and diced onions. I put cut up smoked sausage in 1 pan and kielbasi cut up in the other. No left overs for tomorrow. Will be making this again, soon.
Easy side dish to go with country style ribs. Used half a cabbage, about 1/4 cup sliced onion, and a couple unpeeled medium size white potatoes for two people. Not much left over. Some crumbled bacon or small ham cubes would be nice additions. Would be easy to experiment with seasonings such as southwestern or Cajun if desired.
I finally made this! It is amazing! I am having a hard time resisting eating the whole pan... I used regular green cabbage and russet potatoes with the peels left on. The simple seasoning of seasoning salt and lots of pepper complimented the dish beautifully. I didn't even need the parmesan cheese but I'm sure it would be good added to it. I like the idea linpo had to serve with an egg. I plan to eat this for breakfast and it would make a nice side dish as well.
My husband and I love this recipe !!! We took the left overs and served it with a sunny side up egg and it was still delicious. This time I will try to lighten it up a bit (as we are trying to be healthy) and make it with the 2 tsp olive oil as another poster said. Serving with lamb chops. Feeling kinda Irish.
see 18 more reviews