Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a thick hearty delicious soup I make using my Kittencal's Best Chicken Stock/Broth (Crock Pot Option) but can be made using using canned broth. Add in some cooked rice or egg noodles also if desired! The spinach is only *optional* if you are not a spinach-lover then you can omit, I like to add it in! The success of this soup will depend on the quality of your chicken broth, so make certain to use the best broth available! You can adjust all amounts to suit taste and increase the chicken broth if desired, the exact amounts do not really matter for all ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 8 1⁄4 cups chicken stock (use homemade or good-quality canned, set 1/4 cup cold broth aside)
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 -3 large carrots (peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed (use all or half amount of spinach) (optional)
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and black pepper (use lots black pepper)
- cayenne pepper (or to taste) (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese, cheesse (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat; add in onion, celery, garlic and thyme; cook stirring for about 4 minutes.
- Add in 8 cups chicken stock with diced potatoes; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potates are tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Using a potato masher mash the potatoes in the the stock.
- Add in sliced carrots, spinach (if using) and cooked chicken; bring to a boil, reduce heat cover and simmer for about 30 minutes over low heat.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) to taste.
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup room temperature or cold stock with flour until smooth; add into the simmering broth and cook until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese if desired.