Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is creamy and delicious, you may also add in some frozen thawed peas or canned drained sliced mushrooms or fresh sauteed, if you are not a garlic lover then omit the fresh garlic or you may use 1/2 teaspoon or more of garlic powder --- if you love risotto then you will love this rice!
Top Review by I luv food
Very good recipe! Reminds me of the rice in my grandma's chicken and rice recipe. I used brown rice & healthy request cream of mushroom soup and it was great! As good as it is it in my opinion it can't beat Kittencal's Parmesan orzo, that's my Favorite!! Thanks for another good recipe Kitten!!
- 3 tablespoons oil (or as needed to cover bottom of the saucepan can use butter or half of each)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (can use more)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (more to mix in after cooking if desired)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (optional and to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees F (or 350 degrees F for air-convection oven).
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Heat oil in a medium oven-proof saucepan over medium-high heat; add in onion and saute until softened (about 4 minutes).
- Add in garlic; cook stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the next 5 ingredients; stir over medium heat until smooth and bubbly.
- Mix in the rice, then season with black pepper and salt.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir the mixture ( the saucepan will be hot so handle carefully holding with a tea towel).
- Return to oven and continue baking uncovered for another 10-15 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- You may mix in more Parmesan cheese if desired.
- The rice is best if served immediately.