Recipe by French Tart
These lovely little cornmeal muffins have quite a kick to them, it's the jalapeno peppers! A very simple and easy recipe that goes so well with chili, stews, soups, chilli con carne or when served as an appetiser snack - split them in two and spread with savoury butters or serve with dips. I made these up as an experiment, and they turned out so well, that I am on my third batch already!
Top Review by taylor p.
Loved these. I made 2 batches, the first based on the actual recipe, and for which I give 5 stars, the second batch I added 1/2 cup Monterey jack/cheddar cheese and used fresh jalapenos. After baking, I split in half and served cream cheese/pepper jelly combo with them.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup plain white flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup yoghurt or 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno pepper, drained and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F and grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add the yoghurt or buttermilk, melted butter and the egg. Mix until all the ingredients are combined - do NOT overmix!
- Add the jalapeno peppers and mix gently again.
- Spoon into pre-greased muffin tin and then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until well risen and pale golden brown.
- Serve with chili, chilli con carne, stews, soups or split and spread with savoury butter or dips.