Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my mother's recipe for Cajun chicken.
- 1 chicken (cut up)
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 green pepper (diced)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- file powder
- Sauté chicken in bacon grease until golden brown and remove from skillet.
- Make a roux by blending flour into bacon drippings and stirring constantly until dark brown.
- Add green pepper,onion,and scallions to skillet.
- Season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add water, Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper and thyme.
- Put chicken back into skillet.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Lightly sprinkle filé powder on top.
- Serve with saffron rice.