Karen's Orange Chicken
A delicious and easy version of Orange Chicken. It is sweet and tangy with a hint of spice if you chose to use the crushed red peppers. You can cook the chicken and make the sauce ahead of time to save time later if you need too. Just heat the chicken and add the sauce when the pan is hot.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chicken, cubed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, zest of
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 10 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Mix beaten eggs, corn starch and salt in med size bow and set aside.
- Zest the orange into a small bowl or large measuring cup.
- Cut the orange in half and juice 3 tablespoons into the zest.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, ginger and crushed peppers to the zest and juice, mix and set aside.
- Heat 1/2" oil in a wok or frying pan until hot.
- Dip the cubed chicken into the cornstarch/egg mixture letting the excess drip off.
- Fry cubes in a single layer in hot oil, turning as necessary until cubes are golden; drain on paper towels. Repeat until all of the chicken is fried.
- Drain the oil from the pan.
- Place all of the cooked chicken back in the pan on a med/high heat.
- Stir the orange sauce and pour over the chicken; gently stir the chicken into the sauce until sauce thickens and covers the chicken pieces.
- Serve with hot rice and a steamed vegetable or veggie stir-fry.