Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Adapted from Alan Wong's Restaurant, Honolulu, HI The site won't let me add this in the ingredients, so..... the boneless pork shoulder is sometimes called a Boston roast or Boston butt.
- 1 large banana leaf
- 6 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut across grain into 6 pieces
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Lay 2 sheets of foil (each about 1 foot long) on a work surface with long sides overlapping by about 4 inches.
- Cut 2 (12-inch) lengths from banana leaf and center 1 on foil.
- Put pork on banana leaf and sprinkle with salt and liquid smoke.
- Cover top of pork with other 12-inch length of banana leaf and 2 overlapping sheets of foil (each about 1 1/2 feet long).
- Crimp edges of foil tightly to form a packet and put in a large roasting pan.
- Add 1 inch of water and cover pan tightly with more foil.
- Bake pork in middle of oven 4 hours.
- Pour off liquid from pan and, when pork is just cool enough to handle, shred with 2 forks in a bowl.
- Serve warm.