Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great for Thanksgiving!!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced, white
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped, fresh
- 16 ounces sage sausage, browned, drained
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth (enough to moisten bread, 2-4 cups, less for fresh bread, more for dry bread)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, mushrooms and parsley. Saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir frequently.
- At the same time, brown sausage and drain off oil.
- In a very large mixing bowl, add bread cubes. Spoon the vegetables and browned sausage over the bread cubes. Add poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. Pour in broth, then eggs. Gently mix until the bread is moist and vegetable and seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Transfer mixture to a 9X13 or larger baking or casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350°F.
- ALTERNATE COOKING METHOD -- Transfer mixture to 4 quart or larger crock pot and cook on High for 45 minutes, then turn to Low for 4 to 8 hours.