Apple and Sausage Stuffing
photo by NorthwestGal
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup apple, cored, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups French bread cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and sauté until cooked through and brown, cutting into small pieces with a spatula as it cooks. Transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl.
- Place the celery, onion, apple, garlic, and herbs in the skillet, and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the sautéed mixture and the french bread cubes to the sausage.
- In a separate blow, whisk together the milk, broth, eggs and butter. Pour into bowl with stuffing mixture. Gently fold milk mixture into the stuffing mix. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the stuffing to the greased baking dish. Bake uncovered until cooked through and brown, about 25 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was positively delicious. I used ground spicy Italian sausage, and it was a great choice. The apple was a good addition too, because it contributed nicely to the savory-sweet boost from the spice blend in the Italian sausage. This stuffing has become a family favorite, and I will be preparing it often. Thank you for sharing your recipe, tasmith1. This was one of my Pick-A-Chef choices, and a winning choice at that.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My Wife Kathy and I Live in Glen Ellyn, Illinois which is about 25 miles West of Chicago. We love to sit on our patio in the Summer time and Use our awesome Barbecue Grill!</p>