Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A recipe passed on by Australian chef Simon Bryant which he obtained on a trip to Japan.
Make and share this Japanese Eggplant With Miso recipe from Food.com.
- 50 g miso (red or white)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggplants
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon japanese chilli five-spice powder (if you like it hot- this has black sesame, mandarin, chilli, hemp seed & white sesame) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 green onions (to garnish)
- In a bowl mix together miso, sugar, sake, mirin, sake and egg yolk.
- Wash eggplant and cut lengthways in 1cm thick pieces. Sprinkle with salt and leave ½ hour. Rinse, pat dry then brush with a little veg oil on both sides.
- Either BBQ, grill or panfry eggplant until soft.
- Spread one side with miso mix, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Grill for a few minutes until the miso bubbles on top.
- Serve, garnished with a little julienned spring onion greens.