1/1 Photo of Jack Fry's Shrimp and Grits With Red-Eye Gravy
Jack Fry's is one of the many GREAT restaurants on Bardstown Road here in Kentucky. This appetizer is one of the most requested and ordered dishes. The list of ingredients are long, but don't be discouraged! This is goooooooood!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked grits
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces country ham, minced
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3/4 cup green pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 cup madeira wine
- 1/2 cup strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1To make grits: In a 3-quart saucepan combine the grits, milk and whipping cream.
- 2Over medium heat, bring to a low boil.
- 3Reduce heat to low and simmer stirring frequently, until grits are creamy - about 10 minute.
- 4Whisk in the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5To make the gravy: In a large skillet over high heat, melt the butter.
- 6Add the ham and brown.
- 7Add the shitakes, onions, green peppers and fresh thyme.
- 8Saute until the onions become translucent.
- 9Add the wine, coffee, tomatoes, and hot sauce.
- 10Bring to a slight boil.
- 11Combine the cornstarch and chicken broth mixing until cornstarch is dissolved and no lumps.
- 12Stir the cornstarch mixture into the gravy.
- 13Reduce heat, and cook another couple of minute.
- 14To prepare shrimp: In a large skillet over high heat, melt 2-3 Tbs of butter.
- 15Add the shrimp and cook until shrimp are just pink.
- 16Add the red-eye gravy.
- 17Finish the sauce with the remaining 1 Tbs of butter stirred inches.
- 18To serve: Divide the warm grits among 6 plates, and top each with a portion of shrimp and gravy.
- 19Garnish with freshly grated Asiago cheese and chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jack Fry's Shrimp and Grits With Red-Eye Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (503 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.3
- Calories from Fat 362
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.1 g
- Cholesterol 364.1 mg
- Sodium 1821.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 44.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: