Jack Fry's is one of the many GREAT restaurants on Bardstown Road here in Kentucky. This appetizer is one of the most requested and ordered dishes. The list of ingredients are long, but don't be discouraged! This is goooooooood!!!
- 1 cup uncooked grits
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces country ham, minced
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄2 cup strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 cup tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp
- asiago cheese, for garnish
- To make grits: In a 3-quart saucepan combine the grits, milk and whipping cream.
- Over medium heat, bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer stirring frequently, until grits are creamy - about 10 minute.
- Whisk in the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the gravy: In a large skillet over high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the ham and brown.
- Add the shitakes, onions, green peppers and fresh thyme.
- Saute until the onions become translucent.
- Add the wine, coffee, tomatoes, and hot sauce.
- Bring to a slight boil.
- Combine the cornstarch and chicken broth mixing until cornstarch is dissolved and no lumps.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the gravy.
- Reduce heat, and cook another couple of minute.
- To prepare shrimp: In a large skillet over high heat, melt 2-3 Tbs of butter.
- Add the shrimp and cook until shrimp are just pink.
- Add the red-eye gravy.
- Finish the sauce with the remaining 1 Tbs of butter stirred inches.
- To serve: Divide the warm grits among 6 plates, and top each with a portion of shrimp and gravy.
- Garnish with freshly grated Asiago cheese and chopped parsley.