Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I just made up, after being inspired by my friend's daughter's odd habit of eating hamburger with Italian dressing on it. This recipe is a great one to play around with. you can adjust seasoning or amount of dressing. Be creative.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain off fat.
- Slice or chop the onion, whichever you prefer, and add to the ground beef toward the end of browning.
- While the ground beef is browning, wash and slice the potatoes leaving the skins on.
- Add the potatoes to the hamburger/onion mixture, and mix together.
- In a large 4 cup liquid measuring cup, measure the 2 cup Italian dressing, and add 2 cup water to make 4 cups of liquid.
- Pour the dressing/water mix over the hamburger/potato mixture, and cook at high heat until liquid reaches a boil.**.
- Sprinkle seasoning salt over mixture (or seasoning of your choice, as desired), and stir.
- Turn heat down to low and cover skillet.
- Simmer mixture for 20-30 min., stirring occasionally, adding seasoning if desired.
- The dish is done when the potatoes are soft, and the liquid is cooked down, and the entire mixture is "saucy", but not watery.
- **You may need to add water during cooking time, if liquid cooks down too fast, and potatoes aren't soft yet.
This dish had nice flavor but the Italian dressing I used made it very salty (Newmans Own). Next time I will make my own or look for a lower salt content. Thanks for sharing Miriam. Made for Pick a Chef spring 2009.