Recipe by CHRISSYG
***PLEASE NOTE I HAVE CORRECTED THE NUMBER OF PIES WHICH THIS RECIPE MAKES, FROM 2 TO 4... THANK YOU TO THE REVIEWERS FOR BRININGT HIS TO MY ATTENTION****Compilation of other recipes I've tried in the never ending quest to duplicate another one of my grandmother's recipes. Many make this with lemon zest/juice or candied citron. We always served this on Easter, it's not too sweet, and not too heavy either> Just right after a big Easter Dinner.
Top Review by Lisa R.
This recipe was by far the closest I found, (after a LOT of searching), to how my family used to make it. We just make this filling and put it in a glass baking dish without a crust. The only change I made was adding a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. It was PERFECT!!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!
- 4 prepared pie crusts
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 3 lbs ricotta cheese
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees and line 2 9" Pie Pans with the crusts, refrigerate and reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the next 6 ingredients with a large spoon until thoroughly combined (no electric mixers here, it'll ruin the rice).
- Divide filling between 4 prepared pie crusts, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until filling is set in the middle (no longer giggling).
- Allow to cool completely before serving, this actually tastes best when refrigerated overnight.