Italian Chopped Salad in Shells
I just found this on Recipegoldmine.com. Haven't made this yet, but they sound like an incredible appetizer for a cookout or picnic. Prep time includes 2 hour chilling time.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1 (16 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped cucumber
- 3 ounces italian hard salami, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup roasted garlic vinaigrette dressing
- Cook pasta shells as directed on the package.
- Drain and cool.
- Place remaining ingredients except vinaigrette in a medium bowl.
- Pour vinaigrette over the salad, toss to coat.
- Stuff the shells with the salad.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made these for a party today and they were a hit. They not only look great and fun, they have rich savory flavor. I substituted feta cheese for the chicken, though, because I had seen it in other recipes for this and was making other appetizers with meat. Also I used pepperoni instead of salami because that is what I had on hand. For the vinaigrette, I just made a simple oil and vinegar dressing with some oregano and seasoning salt that dried garlic in it. The stuffed shells that I bought were not labeled “jumbo” but when they cooked up they were plenty big. I made the shells one day in advance and set them on an olive oil rubbed sheet of wax paper on a tray so they would stick together. I chopped the salad and stuffed the salad about one hour before the party and they held up strong. Next time, I will do more chopping the night before and feel free to stuff the shells even more in advance.