Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this off a website but modified it because I don't like to use shortening in my cooking. However shortening could be substituted for the Butter if needed....It turned out delicious! Hope you can enjoy it as much as I did!
- Beat butter, shortening and oil at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until blended
- Combine flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter into three 9-inch round cake pans or one oblong baking dish, that has been greased and floured (gf of course).
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes for multiple pans; 40-45 minutes for oblong pan or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire rack.
- Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting (double this recipe if you're going to do a layer cake; single if you're going to use an oblong pan).
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened.
- ½ cup butter, softened.
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar, sifted.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed until smooth; stir in nuts. Spread Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting between cake layers and on top and sides of cake. Serves 10.
Wonderful! Have taken it to several different dinner parties. Now I get requests for it. High in Weight Watchers points, but very much worth it!