Recipe by Philreb Wright
Mexico meets the Middle East in this dish. Warm some pita bread and fill with sliced chicken and tomato relish for a tasty and light lunch. The spice rub also works great on shrimp! I like to serve this with "Zucchini with Mint and Parsley".
Top Review by maubee
Virtually identical to a Rachel Ray recipe of same name. Excellent grilled chicken! Great with relish. Instant favorite in our house. (Rachel has an additional side Zucchini w/mint & parsley which I haven't tried yet.)
For the chicken
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (split, 8 pieces)
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- warm pita bread or flat bread, for passing
For the Tomato Relish
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes
- 2 yellow tomatoes
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For the spice rub combine the paprika, cumin, oregano, coriander, crushed red pepper flakes, and kosher salt in a bowl.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to barely coat the meat.
- Rub chicken liberally with 4 tablespoons of the spice blend.
- Let stand 10 minutes and prepare the Tomato Relish.
- Grill chicken 6 or 7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- For the Tomato Relish:.
- Seed and chop the tomatoes and combine with onion and parsley in a shallow bowl.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, and spices in a small plastic container with a lid.
- Shake dressing to combine and pour over salad.
- Season salad with kosher salt and toss to combine well.
- Let stand 10 minutes and serve.