Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious Cooking Light Recipe from Sept 2003 To keep the whole-milk yogurt from curdling, allow the lentils to cool slightly before stirring. Make the lentils a day ahead and refrigerate, then warm them over low heat. Serve as a side dish or as an appetizer with pita wedges.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons homemade curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup tomato puree
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion, ginger, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cover and cook 10 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in minced garlic, cumin, Homemade Curry Powder, and ground coriander; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in water, chicken broth, lentils, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
- Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaves. Gradually stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper, yogurt, and tomato puree; cook over low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.