No MSG!'s Note:
I adopted this "saag" but haven't tried it yet. I feel passionate about Indian food and will try it soon and report back to headquarters. It looks like a nice, spicy saag as I like them. I would tend to saute the chicken in oil before adding to the other ingredients. Farmers cheese (paneer) could be substituted for the chicken as could lamb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3 or 4 pieces each (about 1 and 1/3 pound total)
- 1In large frying pan, heat oil over medium-low heat.
- 2Add onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in cumin, coriander,,turmeric, paprika and 1 tsp of the salt.
- 4Cook until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 5Stir in jalapenos and tomatoes.
- 6Add cream, cinnamon stick and water and stir well.
- 7Add spinach.
- 8Bring to a simmer.
- 9Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 10Stir in chicken and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- 11Cover and simmer until just done, about 10 minutes.
- 12Remove cinnamon stick before serving.
- 13Serve over basmati or regular white rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Spiced Chicken and Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.4
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 116.2 mg
- Sodium 1133.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 31.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: