Indian Spiced Chicken & Spinach
A variation of a Food & Wine Magazine favorite
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes, canned
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3 pieces each
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute, and then stir in the tomatoes.
- Add the cream, cinnamon stick, and water.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove excess liquid and add the spinach to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover, and simmer the stew until just done, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION